Trivandrum: Kerala has become one of the first States in India to implement Cloud infrastructure at its State Data Centre (SDC). The entire implementation at SDC-2, located in the Technopark campus, was completed by March 2015.
According to a note from the Kerala State IT Mission, the second State Data Centre is now only providing infrastructure for co-locating and co-hosting e-governance applications for various departments. On implementing the Cloud Infrastructure the older technologies of hosting the services will be moved to the latest, faster and proven technology. As on now the cost of managed services are increasing day by day, Kerala stand first in the technology perspective to implement latest technologies in e-governance projects when compared to the other states in India.
Some of the advantages to Government of Kerala on implementing the Cloud Infrastructure are:
- The financial gain as all Departments need not buy individual servers
- Hosting of all applications irrespective to any platforms
- Management and Operations of the applications will be easy
- Centralized Monitoring and Error reporting
- Sharing of Information will be easy
- Quick and easy deployment of applications
- Faster delivery of newer services to various clients
- Enhanced Security features
- Power and cooling cost will be reduced
- Increase of Utilization of existing hardware and software resources
- Manpower cost can be reduced
Cloud infrastructure also helps the government departments in the following ways:
- Availability of all platforms and versions
- Easy of version upgrade and migration
- Backup and Recovery is very easy
- Automatic Software Integration
- Easy to access Information
- Easier scalable of resources
- Redundancy of and Replication will be faster and easier
- Downtime can be reduced
A workshop for various government departments to bring awareness on cloud enablement at SDC-2 was held today at the Institute of Management in Government in Thiruvananthapuram.
Minister for Industries & IT, Shri P K Kunhalikutty formally inaugurated the launch of Cloud computing services at the State Data Centre at a function held at Mascot hotel in Thiruvananthapuram on April 21, 2015.
Kerala IT News